Male sexual health problems can be common for men of any age. These problems can feel embarrassing to discuss and therefore are not sometimes fully understood. Sexual dysfunction among men typically manifests as erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation and a decreased libido. Education is important in understanding male sexual health problems, to better understand if treatment is required and what steps should be taken.
Male sexual health problems can be the result of physical or psychological dysfunctions.
- Erectile Dysfunction: Affecting one in every 10 males in the United States, erectile dysfunction is a very common condition, making it difficult to maintain an erection. Inability to achieve an erection less than 20% of the time for otherwise healthy men is not uncommon and treatment is not always necessary.
- Diabetes: It is estimated that 35%-75% of men with diabetes experience some form of sexual dysfunction. Diabetes can damage blood vessels and nerve endings, impairing sexual performance and limiting sexual pleasure.
- Premature Ejaculation: While estimates vary, as many as one in every three men experience premature ejaculation at some point in their lives. Premature ejaculation is most commonly caused by an imbalance in the neurotransmitter in key areas of the brain.
- Stress: Stress is connected closely with male sexual health problems. Concerns from work, school and relationships can impair hormone
levels and reduce libido and sexual performance.
- Depression: Millions of Americans suffer from depression. In addition to lowering energy and quality of life, depression causes a decline in testosterone, a critical part of male sexual health.
- Anxiety: Some form of sexual dysfunction is especially common in individuals with anxiety disorders. General anxiousness can trigger erectile dysfunction, impotence and premature ejaculation while medically diagnosable anxiety disorders can dramatically impair sexual
If you are concerned about your sexual health it is important to consult with your primary healthcare provider as soon as possible.
To find out more information, contact one of our National Male Medical Clinics today.