According to an article published in Archives of Internal Medicine Sept 12, 2011 Erectile dysfunction (ED) shares similar modifiablerisks factors with coronary artery disease. The same lifestyle changes that benefit the heart , exercise, dietary modifications, smoking cessation and pharmacotherapy to reduce cardiovascular risk factors benefit the penis.
Of course we can’t hear enough of the negative effects of smoking on everything from the circulatory system to the skin. One website says smoking is a health disaster of a magnitude that could never be summarized in a little warning box on a label. I doubt there are few medical experts that would suggest otherwise. Basically if you haven’t heard – smoking is really bad news.
According to the CDC smoking kills 430,000 – 435,000 people each year in the United States. Almost half of these people die from diseases of the heart or arteries, such as heart attacks or strokes. The circulatory system of course has direct connection to the penis; in order to get an erection the penis has to fill with blood. Therefore it would make sense if your circulatory system is poor – your erection will likely be poor as well.
Smoking cessation of course is incredibly difficult but well worth the effort. There is no single best way to stop but here are some recommendations that you might find useful to your efforts.
- Start by choosing a date. Prepare for this date by cutting back. If you currently smoke a pack a day – try reducing that by one – two cigarettes every few days. Even a half a cigarette not smoked is better than smoking a whole one.
- Remove the triggers. On the day that
you have set as your stop date – avoid the triggers that create a desire to smoke. For example: Maybe your first cigarette of the morning is inhaled while driving to work; take a bus instead or get a ride with a
non-smoking friend. You should also get rid of all of your cigarettes.
- Get medical help. Ask your doctor about a nicotine patch or nicotine replacement therapy. They won’t reduce your craving to smoke but still can be helpful to the process.
- Get support. It’s going to take some time to end the addiction and yes, you’ll have to take it moment-by-moment, hour-by-hour. Ask friends to help support you – if you feel a strong need for a smoke, take that time to have a conversation, take a short walk, or use your social media outlets to share your frustration & gain support.
- Endure the craving. Cravings are often short – hang in there for a few minutes – find something to do and you’ll find it will go away. A trick a friend shared was “I’ll have this cigarette right after I…” then she’d go take care of a household repair, or start a load of laundry. One thing led to another & so it’d be a few hours later when she’d have to “promise herself” again.
Of course then you want to add a little exercise in – No you don’t have to do the iron man competition the first week out. Like any good (or bad) habit it takes time. Regular exercise can improve your overall health and improved health leads us back to erection quality and health.
Experts differ on how much time should be spent exercising each day. But even a little is better than none and a little done consistently will surprisingly lead to more activity and positive choices. Choose something fun – if you hate the treadmill – try riding a bike around the neighborhood, or hit some balls at the batting cage.
A positive exercise routine will :
- Improve oxygen flow and fortify the heart.
- Enhance interest and energy.
- Reduce your blood pressure.
- Increase and improve the tone of your muscles and your strength while reducing body fat.
- Decrease your tension, help you control stress better and possibly avoid depression.
- Boost your self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Develop your ability to relax, sleep and experience rest.
- Make you feel more relaxed and rested.
- Make you look fit and healthy.
Of course even the best of habits will not always assure that you won’t have erectile dysfunction. If exercise, diet and proper care of your heart still leave you with a less than adequate ability to achieve or maintain an erection it’s probably time to discuss the issue with experts in erectile dysfunction solutions.